Though I am surrounded by some incredible ladies, my Mom, Patti, takes the cake as my number one inspirational woman. She is the whole package: super-intelligent, an amazing mother, an even more incredible Toots (Grandma), a kick ass runner (she's been running for 40 years), a professional, a creative genius, a fabulous wife, and she's hot to boot! I honestly don't know how she does it.
My Mom has encouraged and inspired me to achieve my dreams and I couldn't be where I am today without her! I'm honored to be featured on the Army Morale, Welfare, and Recreation page for Women's History month! There are four other stellar Army Women Athletes featured too. I highly recommend checking it out at the link below for some excellent inspiration.
MWR Women's History Month
Military Women in Sports Spotlight
CPT Kelly Calway"Running is a huge part of my life and I am fortunate to be able to continue my running career through All Army Sports. The team competitions fostered by All Army Sports help develop leadership and teamwork skills which directly translate to my leadership role as an officer in the Army. All Army sports has given me the opportunity to travel and socialize with Soldiers from countries all over the world. This has provided me with a global perspective that I can apply in my work as a Military Intelligence Officer. Additionally, I am encouraged to maintain a high-level of physical fitness in order to continue to participate in All Army Sports, which translates to a high level of physical fitness and excellent APFT scores."
MOS: 35D, Military Intelligence
Sports/Position: Marathon, Cross Country, and Track
How Many Years of All Army Sports: 8
How Many Years of Military Service: 8
Hometown: Everywhere--I’m an Army Brat!
Alma Mater: North Carolina State University 2006, West Potomac HS 2002
Career with All Army Sports:
· All Army Ten Miler Team, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
· All Army Cross Country 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (Champion), 2013 (Champion)
· All Army Marathon Team 2008, 2013 (Champion)
· CISM Cross Country 2010
· CISM World Games Track and Field 2011, 10,000m
- Her personal goal is to make the Olympic Marathon Team in 2016.
- Kelly enjoys running! She also loves spending time with her awesome family, hiking, camping, shopping, cooking, and coaching.
- Kelly chose to be a part of All Army Sports because she loves to represent the Army and race for all of her fellow Soldiers and Army families. She also loves the opportunity to engage with other services and countries during Armed Forces and CISM competitions to promote friendship through sport.
- Best sports advice given to her was from her Dad, who was a superstar basketball player at West Point: “Hard work pays off!”
- Few people know that she is a vegetarian.
- Kelly is most proud of her incredible family. Her accomplishments in running would mean nothing if she was unable to share them with her family.
- Kelly’s mom, Patti, has had the greatest influence on her athletic career. Her mom has been running for over 30 years and has always supported Kelly’s running career. When Kelly was young, her mom drove her to track practice and even ran with her during road races, cheering her on all the while. Even now, Patti facilitates Kelly’s running career by watching her daughter while Kelly travels to races. Kelly always calls her mom the night before a race and Patti always provides encouragement.
- Best moment of her athletic career to date was either running a personal record and placing 25th at the 2012 Olympic Marathon Trials or winning the Marine Corps Marathon 2013.
- If you walked into Kelly’s house, the first thing you’d probably notice is her crazy running partner: her dog, Aspen.
- Among reality shows, she would fare best on The Amazing Race.
- Best thing about being a Soldier-athlete is getting the chance to represent the United States at World Competitions. It’s a huge responsibility to represent our country and our military during the CISM World competitions, and Kelly really enjoys it.
- Kelly would most like to meet the President.
Athlete: Joan Benoit
Movies: The Royal Tenenbaums
TV Shows: Breaking Bad
Music: The Decemberists Actor or Actress: Bill Murray
TV Sports Personality: Phil Liggett
Foods: All vegetables!
Vacation spot: Hawaii! The best place ever.
Best Athlete Ever Faced: Shalane Flanagan in college and during the Olympic Trials.
Quote: “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” –Chinese Proverb
Kelly is currently completing her Master’s Degree in Kinesiology. She will be an instructor at West Point in the Department of Physical Education beginning in the summer of 2015.
Follow Kelly on twitter: @wikigazelle