Friday, December 10, 2010

Relaaaaaaaaaaaaax.

Today I am doing NOTHING.  No run, no swim, no bike, no Alter-G.  Nothing.

Hang out with me for more than a few hours and you will realize that is not an easy thing for me to do.  I have fond memories of my family pushing me out the door for a run because I am too hyper.   My Soldiers in Iraq would very nicely ask me if I needed to go for a run on days when I would get stressed out.  I need to run.  I LOVE RUNNING!  When I can't run, I love swimming, biking, surfing, snowboarding, hiking. . . you name it.  I love being outside breathing fresh air.  I have a hard time sitting still, which is why I don't go to movie theaters.  I just need to move!

But today my training schedule says "DAY OFF."  I already called my coach to whine and she wouldn't budge.  She told me all of the things that I already know: that my body needs a break and that I have a long time and plenty of hard training before Rotterdam in April.  She promised me I wouldn't lose my fitness and that it was totally necessary.  She knows what she's talking about and I need to listen if I want to keep running well.

Rest is an important part of any training plan.  It's just hard to make a conscious choice to be lazy, especially after I've put in all this work! But I'd rather take some down time now than be forced to take some later on.  Therefore, despite the fact that it completely goes against my nature, I am going to sit on the couch with my feet up and watch some lame reality TV that I am embarrassed to admit I actually enjoy.

2 comments: