Saturday, November 20, 2010

Last Long Run: Not the Only Hurdle Before CIM!

This past week I was getting pretty stressed out about the upcoming marathon.  I was basically just putting a lot of undue pressure on myself.  This is the last shot to make the Trials standard for two of my teammates, with whom I raced this weekend, and I think some of their tension rubbed off on me.  Additionally, I didn't have the best 5 mile tempo track workout on Thursday and I was crushed.  I was letting it get to me and thinking very negatively.  Luckily, I know who to call-- Dr. Z.


On Friday, I called Dr. Nate Zinsser, the Director of the Center for Performance Enhancement at United States Military Academy.  He was able to squeeze me in to his busy schedule and talk some sense into me!  He heard my sob story and quickly got me back on track.  He asked me if I enjoyed running, to which I responded "of course!"  Then he said


"just ENJOY yourself and think of this marathon as an OPPORTUNITY."


Today, I felt so free on my 18 mile long run (is that redundant?).  I went out without a Garmin and just had fun.  That Eagles song "Get over it, Get over it, All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit 
Get over it, get over it" was going through my head the whole time :)  I felt strong the whole way and picked it up for the last 6 miles.  I ENJOYED myself and am, once again, EXCITED to race at CIM!


I am so grateful to be in WCAP, with the opportunity to do what I love, representing the US Army and the incredible Soldiers who serve our Country.  This is my opportunity to show off how hard I've worked.  This is my opportunity to get to the Olympic Trials.  I know that I can do it and I can't let negative thoughts get in my way!

8 comments:

  1. i have total confidence that you're going to rock this marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck! All of us from 3BCT, 101st will be rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. put on the song "R-E-S-P-E-C-T." play it loud on your laptop. then, replace the letters R.E.S.P.E.C.T. with S.U.C.C.E.S.S. channel Aretha Franklin and SING IT LOUD (in your head)!
    and, oh ya. take the cake BABY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all of the LOVE! You guys motivate me daily!

    Thanks Uncle Randy!!

    Katie, you have always been the BEST supporter. IT was so great to see you at the ATM!

    Zak, you HAVE to send me some pics and results of your marathon! I am so excited for you!

    Brook, downloading right now! I'm going for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck, stay positive and have fun! Go ARMY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. good luck kelly! i be impressed with you no matter how it goes - you've had so much success already! that said, i think you've prepared yourself to rock this race! i'll be cheering from SF!!

    ReplyDelete